Sunday, August 23, 2009

The buzz about thrift shopping

About a month ago, I heard a caller on the radio talk about her shopping experience at a thrift store. This caller found 3 Abercrombie & Fitch shirts with their tags still on and paid less than $10 for all 3 shirts. My sister and I were on a mission to find a similar deal and yesterday was the day. It was T-day, thrifty day! I didn't realize there was so much stuff to see...clothes, kitchenware, furniture and books. After 2 hours and 3 thrift stores, my sister had a bag of clothes for less than $20 and one item with its tags still on. I found a $3 t-shirt and bought 2 cookbooks that seemed to have never been read. Original prices, one for $15.95 and the other for $13.99. I paid $2.75 for both books! It was a successful day!

I've been really hooked on watching my caloric and glycemic intake. My husband and I did a cleanse before he left and we vowed to feel better and be healthy. Oddly, the 2 cookbooks I found were just in the lines of what we needed. I've already started briefing him on what I've read. Did you know sodas have a very high glycemic rating? There are ~10 teaspoon of sugar in a 12-ounce can of soda, WOW!

Here are the books I bought:

The Maker's Diet, by Jordan S. Rubin - a book written by a once very unhealthy author who treated himself. He is now a naturopathic doctor and nutritionl consultant. Can't wait to read how he went from sickly to healthy.

The Good Carb Cookbook,by Sandra Wooduff, M.S.,R.D. - a book that finally explains good carbs, bad carbs and the glycemic index in detail. It's also a very easy read. All recipes have been tested and tasted. I made the sourdough bread pudding today; it was easy, yummy and has a low glycemic rating.

I woke up with a text and a call from my husband this morning, and went to bed with a call from him. I'm so grateful to be able to stay in close touch with him. Thanks be to God for another blessed day! So be it, Amen!

No comments: